This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.I have a lot of rules for choosing decor that I am not sure I have ever shared. Here are just a couple that I stick to in order to make sure spaces like our bedroom keep the calm, warm and inviting vibes I am going for:
1) No grey, if possible. I find gray to be a slippery slope for me and before I know it, all I own is grey, so I avoid.
2) Only warm tones and whites, unless it is a deliberate choice as an accent.
3) No black - my windows are black, but if you look at my content it would be hard to find anything black from a decor standpoint. This helps keep the overall brightness of the space without drawing the eye to dark areas.
4) Mixing warm wood tones and warm whites is ok! As long as they all have the same color undertones (in my case it’s a soft yellow) then they will go together just fine.
5) Keep base pieces simple - for example, our sheets and duvet are a plain white, but I add interest with pillows and blankets which are easily swapped out. I don’t want to be buying new bedding all the time since that would cost way too much!! Same goes for furniture - I try to stick with things that I can accent, rather than having the piece itself be the accent. ‘
Hope all that makes sense!!! Do you have rules you stick to when choosing decor?